DIRECT SCHOOL ADMISSION – SECONDARY (DSA-SEC) EXERCISE
Edgefield Secondary School invites Primary 6 students to join the school in Secondary One 2018 through the 2017 Direct School Admission – Secondary (DSA-Sec) Exercise. Interested candidates can apply for DSA through the school’s distinctive programmes:
Applied Learning Programme (ALP): Growing the Entrepreneurial Mindset
Leadership Development: Nurturing Compassionate Leaders
1.ALP – Growing the Entrepreneurial Mindset
- Displays strong passion and keen interest in developing skills and attributes in the areas of innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Exhibits aptitude in high performance capability in creativity and problem-solving, and displays high level of self-motivation and self-directedness.
- Demonstrates willingness and openness to attempt and experiment with new and challenging ideas, and alertness to opportunities.
- Active involvement/participation in innovation and entrepreneurship programmes/competitions in their primary schools or has similar experiences in other platforms.
- Personal traits and values that will help nurture an entrepreneurial mindset.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a situational assessment where they will be put in a problem-solving scenario and generate plausible solutions within the given time.
2.Leadership Development – Nurturing Compassionate Leaders
- Demonstrates the values Compassion, Moral Courage, Sincerity and Honour through exemplary conduct.
- Exhibits strong leadership qualities and initiatives and held leadership position in primary school (preferably leadership position in a primary school’s CCA/student leadership body e.g. Class Chairpersons/Monitors, Prefects/Counsellors, CCA leaders/Captains, etc.).
- Have attended and completed specialised trainings in leadership, facilitation and mentoring skills, and were given opportunities to put these skills into practices through meaningful contributions to the school and the community.
- Obtained “very good” or better in conduct grade from Primary 4 to Primary 6.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a situational assessment where they will be put into a problem-solving scenario and work with others to exhibit leadership traits within the given time.
- The application period starts from 8 May 2017 to 3 July 2017.
- The application form is unavailable from 4 July 2017.
- The following documents are to be submitted together with the application form:
- Recent passport-sized photo to be affixed onto the application form
- Photocopy of MOE Registration Number form (for candidates not studying in MOE mainstream schools)
- Copies of Primary 4 and 5 End-of-Year results and Primary 6 Mid-year results containing conduct grade
- Copies of CCA records in schools and participation outside school (if any)
- Copies of relevant records of leadership involvement, courses and projects in primary school and beyond
- Copies of relevant records of community service rendered in primary school and beyond
- Copies of relevant records of programmes, courses, competitions and achievements related to Innovation and Entrepreneurship, if any (if you have indicated “Entrepreneurship” as your talent area)
- Referral Letters, Testimonials and Certificates (if any)
- A personal statement (300 words) describing yourself, highlighting personal attributes that support your application. You can also choose to make a video of yourself instead.
- The completed application form, together with all the supporting documents are to be submitted either
a) In hard copies by hand/post to the General Office of Edgefield Secondary School at the following address:
2017 Direct School Admission Exercise
Edgefield Secondary School
36 Punggol Field
If the personal statement is in a video format, do submit the video in a CD/DVD-Rom.
b) In soft copies by email to email@example.com. You will receive an acknowledgement email from the school once we have received your application. If you do not receive the acknowledgement email within two weeks after you have sent the email, do contact the school at Tel: 68839511.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Applicants must fulfil the age requirement for Secondary One Admission in 2018.
a) Singapore Citizens / Singapore Permanent Residents should not be more than 4 years overaged, i.e. born between 2 January 2001 and 1 January 2006.
b) International Students should not be more than 2 years overaged, i.e. born between 2 January 2003 and 1 January 2006.
- Underage applicants are not allowed to participate in the DSA-Sec Exercise.
- Shortlisted candidates will be notified by 14 July 2017.
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a situational assessment where they will be put into a problem-solving scenario and work with others to exhibit leadership traits within the given time (if indicated talent area is “Leadership) or generate plausible solutions within the given time (if indicated talent area is “Entrepreneurship”).
- Please note that shortlisted candidates will have to attend two separate sessions of situational assessments if both talent areas are indicated on the application form.
- The situational assessments for shortlisted candidates will be conducted between 17 July 2017 and 11 August 2017, in Edgefield Secondary School.
- Shortlisted candidates will receive notification of results (by post) by 31 August 2017.
- General Ability Test (GAT) and Higher Ability Selection Test (HAST) are not required for the school’s DSA selection process.
- Applicants who are currently not studying in MOE mainstream schools are to obtain a Registration Number from MOE Customer Service Centre from 8 May onwards before submission of the application form.
- All International Students are to take part in the Admissions Exercise for International Students (AEIS) before they are considered for DSA-Sec allocation. For more information on AEIS, please refer to the website: http://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/international-students/admissions-exercise.
- Parents and students are encouraged to choose schools wisely based on the student’s aptitudes and strengths, bearing in mind the schools’ academic and non-academic requirements, and the programmes available to develop the area of talent.
- The school’s decision of the DSA-Sec application is final. No appeal or correspondence will be entertained.
- The school reserves the right not to disclose the reasons for the non-selection of applicants.
- Successful applicants who have accepted the DSA-Sec application are not allowed to participate in the Secondary One Posting Exercise.
- Successful applicants who have accepted the DSA-Sec application are not allowed to transfer to another school after the release of the PSLE results.
- For further queries, please contact the school at:
DSA-Sec Coordinator: Miss Tan Sio Ling (Year Head/ Lower Secondary)